The third annual VivaTech gathering in Paris brought about global leaders including French President Emmanuel Macron and Alibaba founder Jack Ma, to share their views on technology.
Big on the agenda this year was an exploration of Europe’s role in the innovation space. Ma talked to the idea of the region lagging behind due to the regulations it is surrounded by. He suggested this is the reason it has not produced massive tech firms in the same way the US and China has. But Macron spoke about positioning France particularly as a leader by increasing investment in AI and government’s role within the industry.
Ma also touched upon Alibaba’s huge ambitions. By 2036, he is seeking to build a digital economy that will help to create 100 million jobs, serve two billion consumers in the world, and support the profitability of 10 million businesses on its platform, he said.
Also discussed over the two days was of course the promise and dangers of 5G technology, as well as the influence of other technologies shown in the exhibition space, ranging from robots and flying taxis to augmented reality product displays and skincare innovations.
Here’s everything else you need to know…
- Jack Ma affirms Alibaba’s global ambitions at VivaTech [WWD]
- LVMH touts blockchain, artificial intelligence at VivaTech [BoF]
- From air taxis to the Batmobile: The coolest and weirdest things at France’s massive tech expo [CNBC]
- France is good at launching tech startups, but not at growing them [Quartz]
- 3DLook wins LVMH Innovation Award for narrowing shopping choices to the right size [WWD]
- Mineral.me wins the TechCrunch Hackathon at VivaTech [TechCrunch]
- SA’s Aerobotics wins President Macron Africa Tech Award at VivaTech 2019 [Ventureburn]
- Louis Vuitton demonstrates stunning AR technology-infused sneakers and accessories [Hypebeast]
- L’Oréal, Alibaba extend AI-powered skin analysis to acne [WWD]
- L’Oréal presents system for large-scale personalization of cosmetics products [FashionNetwork]
- Usain Bolt launches two-seater electric vehicle which starts at $9,999 [CNBC]
GLOBAL POLITICS & TECH
- Chinese billionaire Jack Ma: ‘I worry about Europe and its obsession with tech regulation’ [CNBC]
- Macron warns against 5G tech wars as Vivatech summit opens in Paris [RFI]
- Breaking up Facebook a ‘last resort’, says EU’s Vestager [Telegraph]
- Canada introducing digital charter to combat hate speech, misinformation [CityNews]
- China declaring AI ambitions wasn’t ‘wisest decision’ as it alarmed the US, former secretary of state John Kerry says [SCMP]
- Ericsson issues a rallying cry on 5G roll-out, warning that Europe isn’t keeping pace [Pocket-lint]
- 50 tech CEOs come to Paris to talk about tech for good [TechCrunch]
How are you thinking about innovation? We’re all about finding you the perfect partners to do so. Current Global is a consultancy transforming how fashion, beauty and consumer retail brands intersect with technology. We deliver innovative integrations and experiences, powered by a network of top technologies and startups. Get in touch to learn more.