With the world reeling from the news of the US election over this past week, analysts have been trying to wrap their head around exactly what a Trump government will mean for retail. There are several good reads listed below.
Also hitting the headlines has of course been the mindblowing success and growth of Alibaba’s Singles’ Day – this year a $17bn affair, up from ‘just’ $14bn in 2015.
Meanwhile, some lighter bits to absorb: a wealth of new campaigns launched for the holiday season. John Lewis vs Marks & Spencer has got us excited, but also below is everyone from Gap to Macy’s, Debenhams and Kohl’s.
ps. Don’t forget to sign up for our Snapchat Masterclass – we’re currently offering 20% for our readers using code “community”.
TOP STORIES: US ELECTION & ALIBABA’S SINGLES’ DAY
- What President Trump means for retailers [Retail Dive]
- Fashion industry reacts to ‘devastating’ Trump victory [BoF]
- Is fashion’s love affair with Washington over? [NY Times]
- New Balance customers revolt after company welcomes Trump [Campaign]
- $17 billion in one day: How Alibaba turned China’s Singles’ Day into a shopping bonanza [Digiday]
- Virtual reality lets Chinese customers shop Macy’s New York store on the world’s biggest shopping day [Quartz]
- Why luxury fashion brands are showing up for Singles’ Day [Glossy]
- Michael Kors dished out discount codes with a casino-themed game on WeChat for Singles’ Day [AdWeek]
- Five takeaways from Alibaba’s gigantic $17.8 billion shopping festival [AdAge]
- Nasty Gal files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy [Retail Dive]
- Burberry profit falls 40% as costs rise [WSJ]
- Kenneth Cole to shut down almost all its brick-and-mortar stores [Bloomberg]
- Luxury coatmaker Canada Goose said to line up banks for IPO [Bloomberg]
- Snap Inc.’s Spectacles are dropping in these crazy cool vending machines called Snapbots [AdWeek]
- Luxury brands are failing in their storytelling [The Guardian]
- Gap harnesses optimism in holiday ads [MediaPost]
- Macy’s bets on power of Santa belief this holiday [AdAge]
- Jennifer Saunders and Ewan McGregor sign up for Debenhams Christmas campaign [The Drum]
- Kohl’s ramps up giving message in holiday campaign [AdAge]
- Browns unveils new look, new website and innovative window campaign [The Industry]
- November 22, London: #FashMash Bootcamp – Snapchat Masterclass (20% for our readers with code “community”)